Monday, October 5, 2009

The Beginning


Know Your Roots Apparel

We are a clothing company and our mission is to inform, educate and promote culture by way of apparel. Started out with 12 designs, eager to get them out to the community. We found a Filipino Festival in Vallejo CA.

It was Pasko Expo, December 6, 2008. Excited about the event, we got there early to set up. So early it was the day before the event. During the event I made sure to shake hands with every vendor, wether it was competition or not. We had a lot of fun and couldn't wait for the next event. So I asked around, when is the next event, and everyone told me not till summer time. this was on December and Summer, that meant I had to wait for 6 months to do this again.

So I asked myself why cant we celebrate the culture everyday, 365 days a year. That was the AHAA!! moment, when i decided we can open up a store, not just any store, but an apparel store catered to our community. There was nothing like it. I think every Filipino store I could think of is either a restaurant or a Sari Sari store: a store that offers variety of services.

I don't have deep pockets, so i had to look under the couch literally for every change i can find.
When I finally got the funds together, basically our total was 890.00 dollars. Was it enough?
Well I went to the Great Mall Of Milpitas and inquired about any open space thats available for leasing. Basically they only required me to put down 500.00 dollars and then 30 days to setup shop.

I contacted everyone I met on the Pasko Expo specially all the Filipino clothing brand, Cultured Roots, Pinoy Street Team, Folded Inc. and also a few that I found on line, Chicharon Adventures, Amano Island Strength Clothing and a local skateboard shop Submit Sk8.

Not having enough money to buy fixtures and other nesscessities. I had to find a way to set up the store in a presentable manner. I found out that there was a major retail store going out of business, so I asked if I can get fixtures, brackets for cheap, but they gave them to me no charge.
I asked my family and friends to help me paint, install and set up everything and tadaaa!!! 30 days went quick and we were on the verge of opening up the store.

It was Friday the 13th on February when we open up our door, Our official release of KYR Apparel. The store is called JJ Clothing. The two J's stands for my two sons, Jeren and Jaden.


We built the store to be an outlet for the community, We promote local businesses, artist and everything under the umbrella.